Soglio

Soglio
Village of Soglio Hiking in the Swiss Alps - John 6:3    And Jesus went up into a mountain, and there he sat with his disciples.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Bible reading today....just do it!

My wife and I had a chance to share with a couple in our small Bible Study group ( yes, we still call it that) about reading the Bible, I thought it would be worth posting my thoughts on this.

This is what my Bible reading day is like today.
I am doing day 737 in this never ending never repeating program.

I use 10 bookmarks to keep my place, I could make you a copy.
I also track my progress online which gives me access to all the day's reading and a great audio version.

You can read about my experience with this here...


As you can see I began in 2012.....when I was 62.
I also began with the ESV, which had study notes and is a better translation than the NIV. 

I was challenged to try reading the KJV along the way and have never turned back, that is another story.

Here is the program summary.

As you see on average with vacations, missed days, and partial reading days, my average reading is about 5 chapters a day, which on a yearly basis is like reading 1 1/2 times through the Bible a year.

The hard part of this is just doing it....

Mat 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Luk 11:28  But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Rev 1:3  Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Rev 22:7  Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Rev 22:14  Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.


Our task should be to follow this command....

Mat 28:18  And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Mat 28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mat 28:20  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.


2Ti 3:15  And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 3:16  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.


I could say more but this is enough. I would challenge you to read the above verses and grasp that the KJV is in fact understandable. I love how it uses words of meaning like blessed.

The Ten Lists

Today's Reading (day 737)

Individual References

If one was starting at the very beginning, which is what is recommended, this would be the first day....


Sent from my iPad

Please write your Comments here!:

High Sierra Flyfisherman said...

Btw if you are inclined to take the KJV challenge here are a few examples in today's reading of the wording as it was originally translated:

...we will be glad and rejoice in thee..; ....Sing us one of the songs of Zion.; ....and the wind was in their wings....Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

If you are anything like me....these simple examples, will induce echoes of memory in your mind.
I love they way the KJV uses words and phrases that have over the years been repeated in writings and songs.
There are even better examples, but I just picked a few from my reading today.